Saturday, April 18, 2015

Module 13

                At the beginning of this semester I was not looking forward to this class at all. I thought that it would just be a huge waste of my time and I wouldn’t learn anything. I thought it would just be read something from a book and write about what you read. At first I thought that Friedman’s book, The World is Flat would be a super boring book. However I was very wrong and I learned a lot from this book. I think it opened up my mind to a lot of things.
 I read the title “The World is Flat” and thought well that’s stupid because it’s obviously not flat. Now after reading the book I’ve realized how right he is. I never would have thought of it that way unless I read this book. When I was younger I always thought that America was the best and had the best everything and nowhere else even compared. Growing up and going through this class helped me realize that there are other foreign countries that are just as advanced if not more advanced in somethings as we are.
A couple weeks ago I got to witness this first hand. I’m an IT developer at a software company called Reading Horizons and one of our employee’s emails was hacked by someone in Russia. After fixing the problem and making sure other people at the company wouldn’t get hacked I looked into people hacking from Russia. Russia actually has a crazy amount of hackers over there. There’s actually people that lived in America that were extremely good at hacking and Russia paid them to move to Russia and work for them. If I would have heard that when I was younger I wouldn’t have believed it.
This class also opened my mind to the artificial intelligence debate that has been going on. Before this class I wasn’t really sure where I stood in the argument. Now I know where I stand, I think that we should stay away from artificial intelligence because while it has a lot of pros to doing it I feel like the cons outweigh the pros. Not including the debate where if we taught them how to adapt by themselves that they would just take over the human race (which is very possible). I think that it would make millions of people lose their jobs and it would only benefit the big business owners and would save the owners a ton of money. Just for the sake of the economy I think we should stay away from artificial intelligence.

I’m actually very happy with the outcome of this class. I went in with my expectations really low and wasn’t expecting anything out of this class but I actually loved this class and got a lot out of it. I’m defiantly going to going to recommend this class to my friends to take.  

No comments:

Post a Comment