Saturday, February 7, 2015

Module 4

            I really lucked out on this week’s module because I work at a software company. So I interviewed my boss; his job title is System Admin. The interview involved questions like what are your responsibilities, what are your hours, and do you like your job. I also researched the job description for what a System Admin is.
            From what I researched I found out that the job description and requirements for a System Admin is, operations and support, maintenance, complex problem solving, discretion latitude decision making, financial and supervisory, and good communication skills. You usually need your bachelor’s degree with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science. 
My boss’ name is Doug he’s honestly the smartest person I’ve ever met in my life. If you have a question to anything he knows the answer and if he doesn’t know then give him a half hour to himself and he will be able to tell you everything about that. I asked him about his responsibilities are for the company. He told me that he makes sure that all the servers are up and running and make sure if they’re running efficiently, he also is working on integrating the old intranet to a new one. He makes sure that all of the orders are put in correctly for our sales team and we are moving locations in the summer so he is trying to find good prices on getting cables and internet deals for the new building. He also does security for everything we have.
Doug’s answer on his hours is mainly whatever he wants but he likes to do 9AM to 6 or 6:30 PM. The reason he  works such long hours is because he works what’s called 9-9’s which means he works nine hours a day and has every other Friday off. The way he can do that without working overtime is because his work week starts halfway through Friday.
            When I asked Doug how he liked his job he told me that he loves the company that he works for because it’s such an awesome company for what we do and how beneficial we are to people that don’t know how to read English. However when it comes down to his actual job he say that it can defiantly can be very stressful at times because management is always breathing down his neck to get this and that done faster but he really loves what he does. 
I feel like Doug does a lot more than your average System Admin. He doesn’t even have his bachelor’s degree. Some of the reason he has the job he has is because he started with Reading Horizons back when he was seventeen as an intern. He’s now twenty-five and even though he technically isn’t qualified because he doesn’t have his degree, I feel like he is qualified for something much more than just a System Admin because of his experience and how smart he is with everything. 
             
            

No comments:

Post a Comment